Monday, December 8, 2008

New Tradition

We've begun a new Christmas tradition this holiday season. Homemade gingerbread houses! I was a little surprised by Taylor's request, via text message, that I needed to run to the store that day and buy molasses, ground ginger, candy, and the like. The night before he was 100% resolved to study, study, study for his upcoming finals and would hardly speak to me because he was "in the zone." But somehow the pressure was lessened and all he wanted to do was create a gingerbread masterpiece and an incredibly large mess in the kitchen. Which he did clean up...eventually. We learned one vital thing about gingerbread-house making. It is essentially to be exact in your measurements. Or the house will not fit together. And you will have to use frosting, which never seems to harden, as caulking. But the gingerbread was tasty.



7 comments:

Brett said...

Hey Big T, I like the creativity! Good luck with your upcoming tests and we'll see you soon. . .

Camille said...

I'm so impressed! We always did that growing up and it was such a fun tradition. What a great way to be festive! Maybe after we move we can start being festive too. :)

Missy said...

Hey, it turned out pretty cute! This will be a fun tradition, plus it gives you an excuse to eat candy. Yay!

Chemene said...

That's so cool you made that. The end product is awesome. Your Eliza is seriously getting more and more beautiful every day. She's adorable.

Sare said...

Love the tissue box and glassware scaffolding so the walls wouldn't fall in. Do you ever actually EAT your creation? I think I'd pick at the M&M shingles here and there, but I don't think I could ever just tear down all my hard work and eat it. What do YOU do?

Erik said...

Wonderful to see that Taylor still sports the "Rocky" t-shirt. Mine still fits fine as well. Check out this site:
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=%2Fgallery.asp&CID=C3A3CFF56A714D68A41E86139CFA1EB6&txtSearch=rocky

Sam and Lacey said...

How funny i remember building many ginger bread house with Taylor growing up. Are you guys coming out for Christmas? Will you be at the Klein christmas party?