Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nasal Foreign Body



It all started on the way home from church Sunday. I gave Eliza a bag of peanuts so she would stay awake in the car. We were almost home and she began crying and hitting and rubbing her nose. I just thought she was tired. Haha. Her nose was irritating her the rest of the day and into Monday, but I just figured she had boogs and I'd help her blow her nose. Finally on Monday afternoon I got out Nora's suction bulb and tried to suction out her boogs. No luck. I got out a flashlight and, sure enough, there was something in there. Again, I just thought it was a big booger. I am such a smart mommy, huh. As soon as Taylor came home he simply asked, "Eliza, did you stick something up your nose?" Without hesitation Eliza replied, "Uh-huh, a peanut!!" We were afraid of pushing the peanut up farther into her nose, so we called the pediatrician. Taylor went with Eliza. After thirty minutes of holding a hysterical Eliza down, they gave up and told Taylor she'd need to go to an ENT, where they could drug her and surgically remove it. Ugh. Right before I put Eliza to bed I thought I'd make her blow her nose a few more times because it looked like the peanut had moved positions. Second blow and out it came!! I am so grateful it came out. I hope this was so traumatic for Eliza that it won't happen again.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

so glad everything worked out! poor little eliza.

Heather Curtis said...

Ha ha! That is scary, sad, and in the aftermath- pretty hilarious! I love reading those kind of stories from other moms so I realize that we all go through these weird ordeals.

Amy said...

haha, yeah, that has to happen to every kid at least once! Hopefully she learned her lesson!